Fully immersing visitors in beautiful countryside surroundings, Darwin Lake Holiday Village draws interest from far and wide. A beautiful base for accommodation in the Peak District, it consists of 17 charming, stone-built cottages built around an idyllic private lake.
These are typically booked out by large groups looking for a base to stay in the area. The Holiday Village also regularly attracts bookings for weddings, which can be held on site in the stunning Darwin Hall.
Due to their previous site being in real need of an upgrade, Darwin Lake approached us with the proposition of improving their digital presence; in order for them to better market themselves online.
What Was the Brief?
We were keen for the website to use imagery of the picturesque Darwin Lake site, to sell the client's services to prospective customers. This formed a key focal point for the brief:
- Imagery: From the charming cottages to the magnificent lake, we knew we would need to showcase the best of the Holiday Village to website visitors through the new site.
- Helpful information: We needed to ensure all information was included on things like: activities in the local area, what guests need when they stay and what features each cottage includes. For this, we were commissioned to produce the copy alongside the build of the site.
- Group bookings: One of Darwin Lake's most attractive selling points is that people are able to book multiple cottages, or the whole Holiday Village. This is perfect for weddings, events and large breaks with family and friends. We wanted to raise awareness of this and funnel group bookings accordingly with the new site build.
- Promotion of key services: The client was particularly keen for us to design the site so that it showcased Darwin Lake to those looking to book weddings and corporate events.
- Booking integration: We needed to integrate an external booking platform chosen by the client, so that website users would be able to check accommodation availability.
What Did We Do?
Imagery was given notable prominence across the site, particularly on the homepage. Website users are immediately met by a striking image of the cottages overlooking the private lake. Elsewhere, professional photography has been used to highlight suitability for weddings, the cottages and the site itself. On the Holiday Village page, a helpful map has been included.
Encouragement of Group Bookings
The three primary homepage blocks direct users towards pages designed to promote Darwin Lake as a base for group bookings - weddings & events, group venue and family & friends. The copy and imagery used on each of these pages highlights the appeal of the location to groups, whilst the contact banner encourages people to engage with the team and get more information.
Focus on Cottages
The fantastic cottages at Darwin Lake are a clear highlight, as each delivers 4-star luxury to guests. Each cottage has been given its own page with unique information and striking imagery. Where possible, walkthrough videos have also been provided for each cottage to encourage user retention.
For the copywriting on the Darwin Lake site, it was vital to mix an informative style with the measured selling of the actual Holiday Village and the services the client offers. To do this:
- Each cottage was rigorously broken down to include key details.
- Sections of copy were kept concise and to the point.
- Language was carefully chosen to encourage engagement and enhance brand appeal.
Useful Additional Information
We were keen to provide website visitors with any information they could possibly need on Darwin Lake, to help encourage qualified enquiries. This included the use of an FAQs section and clear information on how to find the client. We also included a bright and appealing map of the Holiday Village to help show scale and included features.